Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gay Bashing


>

It is incredible. My boyfriend and I were walking down the streets of the Short North minding our own business, trying to figure out what to do with our selves on a pleasant Friday evening. We were both wearing clothes that would not be considered “normal” for guys, that is, not a loose pair of khaki shorts with an even more ill fitting dress shirt, although neither of our outfits was outrageous.


Nonetheless, as we were making our way to High along Spring, a group of frat guys walked by. I felt physically threatened because there were so many of them, and Spring was absolutely deserted besides us. I braced myself as they walked by. No physical beating occurred, but they yelled “QUEERS” at us once they had walked past us. They didn’t even have the decency to say it to our faces.


As if that were not discouraging enough, as we made our way from Spring down toward Jeni’s Ice Cream on High, a group of macho dudes in a car shouted “FAGS” at us. We both felt angry, and a bit confused.


First, I must say that many gay people are accustomed to this sort of barbaric behavior. I have been called many vicious synonyms of “fag” and “queer” too many times to count. I expect it often times when I am in the Arena District, or in the University District, where classless and uncultivated types tend to abound. But, this is the Short North we are talking about! This is OUR territory. Everyone knows that the Short North is the de facto “Gay” district. As such, we should be able to flaunt around as freely as we desire, in only a rainbow thong if we so choose, without fear of being haggled.


Lately, I have been growing much fonder of Columbus. For instance, I discovered the Olentangy multi-use path, which gave me a newfound respect for the city. But Columbus is still the Mid West, a region notorious for its lack of tolerance, dignity, intelligence, and culture. In New York, where I have had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time, this would never happen. “FAG” as a pejorative insult would never be heard in the streets of Chelsea, the New York counterpart to the Short North (Although “fag” as in “Hey fag” a la Paris Hilton’s “Hey bitch” is quite prevalent.) It is accepted as gay territory. I should also add that I never felt threatened anywhere in Manhattan as I do here in Columbus. As much as I love this city, it is a product of the state of Ohio, and as such, gays can never truly feel at home.

No comments: